Thursday 20 March 2014

POPPY'S PLACE, FULHAM

I think neighbourhood restaurants and cafes are really important in creating a village community. Of course I visit chains like Pizza Express or Wagamama and they are good in that you know what you are getting and are generally consistent, but they lack the charm of local places. Of course some of these can be terrible but thankfully that is not the case with Poppy's Place.

Wednesday was a big day for Arabella as she had her first ever ballet exam. She was so so excited and had been counting down the days for months. I was amazed by the seriousness of it all - 4 girls at a time, no teacher in the room, not a strand of hair out of place and they had to memorise every single dance. I was far more nervous than Arabella who adored the whole experience. I couldn't resist a picture!!



Anyway she had to miss some school (much to her delight) and after the exam we decided to grab a quick lunch before she returned to her lessons. I had read about Poppy's Place in one of the free property magazines that always come through our door and it looked gorgeous - a shabby chic vintage setting, a fresh simple healthy menu and delicious coffees and treats. 

It is run by Scarlett Guess who comes from a family of restaurateurs and whose brother has opened up Chop Shop in Haymarket which I am desperate to try. Poppy's Place follows a "farm to table" concept and is somewhere to go for all day dining and the restaurant / cafe is delightful - I couldn't resist taking of photo of our table flowers.



There is plenty to choose from on the menu - breakfast includes full English, baps with sausage, egg or bacon, homemade granola, buttermilk pancakes, croissants and eggs and more.

Lunch includes salads such as lentil, beetroot and goat's cheese, baps like chorizo, rocket and red pepper or a croque monsieur toastie. They had a burger, steak sandwich and mac and cheese as specials which sounded very tempting, in fact it all did and I was torn at what to order.

In the evening it becomes a candlelit, romantic and intimate restaurant, and the focus is on steak with unlimited fries (bring it on)!

They also had a well priced children's menu offering mac and cheese, chicken, sausages as well as a fish finger sandwich.

Arabella, the pasta fanatic, went for mac and cheese.



This was absolutely delicious - my only complaint being it wasn't big enough, I was only allowed a small bite to taste. I would definitely have this here - cheesy and flavoursome!

To be different from Arabella, I went for smashed avocado on toast with chorizo (you could have bacon or egg instead of the chorizo if you fancied or all three).





Once again, so yummy - a large portion of avocado with I think coriander on top and a squeeze of lime. The chorizo complemented the avocado perfectly and it all tasted so fresh. Being the piglet that I am….I could definitely have squeezed in another sausage!!

The waiter was very attentive and everything was served with a huge smile - nothing was too much trouble.

Unfortunately we could not linger as school beckoned, poor Arabella had been eyeing up the brownie slabs on the counter which looked incredibly moreish. I know for sure we will be back for breakfast, lunch, supper and coffee and cake…I can't wait to be a local at our new local. I give it a big thumbs up!!

Poppy's Place

255 Munster Road
London
SW6 6BW
Tel: 020 7920 6420
Email: hello@poppysplacesw6.co.uk

Square Meal
Poppy's Place on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment