Wednesday 26 March 2014

LUSCIOUS LEEK OMELETTE

On Monday night I was at a total loss at what to cook. I wanted to make something from scratch but knew I wouldn't have much time as Pascal was flying in from France late afternoon and so whatever I knocked up for the three of us, would have to be a five minute job…..a problem for lots of people when it comes to preparing supper. The thought of a microwave meal suddenly became appealing…although not for long as I would then have to find the time to actually buy a microwave and create room in my kitchen…

Eggs are always a good bet when you want a quick meal and this omelette came to mind.

Ingredients for 3 people:

2 tbsp olive oil
knob of butter
2 large leeks, trimmed, sliced and washed
8 eggs, beaten
200g Caerphilly or Wensleydale cheese (in future I would use Feta or goat's cheese)


First of all prepare the ingredients…cut up the leeks and crumble the cheese (I used a knife to help but it was a lot easier than I thought)!


Heat the oil in a large frying pan for a few seconds, then drop in the butter.


When the butter stops foaming, toss in the leeks and stir fry for four minutes until soft but not coloured.



Beat the eggs while these are cooking and season.


Then pour the eggs so they cover the bottom of the pan and cook for 5 minutes until the eggs are no longer runny.


Crumble over the cheese and leave to cook for another couple of minutes.


Then fold the omelette in half (this wasn't the easiest - hence the mess I made)!!


Finally cut into wedges and serve.


Definitely not the most well presented dish I have ever done!!! So this omelette was received with mixed reviews. Pascal loved it all but Arabella and I didn't like the cheese - we used Caerphilly which I think was too bitter. I have never tried the cheese before and certainly won't again - it was very sharp. Next time I would definitely use feta as this also crumbles and I think works really well in an omelette and goes well with the leeks, goats cheese would be another idea. The leeks were fantastic in the omelette - a good change from the usual mushroom or onion.

I would also serve with a tomato salad too.

I will try this again as omelettes are so quick and easy to make and eggs are so good for you but certainly with another cheese and if I am feeling naughty some lardons too…!

No comments:

Post a Comment