Thursday 13 March 2014

CHEESE, PEA & MINT OMELETTE

To top off my day yesterday, I scoffed a whole load of chocolate….lindt, galaxy, a malteser bunny, white chocolate buttons. I still felt sick this morning…..why can't I understand what moderation means?!!!

Anyway today is a new day and so I started off with a 5 mile run…it was not easy as I haven't run for a couple of weeks but it certainly blew the cobwebs out. I must force myself to do it once a week…

After yesterday I also needed a healthy lunch and so decided to cook an omelette - filling and protein, plus quick, easy and stress free - just what I needed!

Ingredients for 2 people:

100g frozen peas or petit pois
Drizzle of olive oil
4 eggs (medium or large), beaten
100g hard smoked cheese (I actually just used cheddar as it was all I had in the fridge, it tastes great but the smoked cheese is probably a bit better)
A handful of chopped mint
50g of grated Parmesan cheese



Boil the kettle and grate the cheese, beat the eggs and cut the mint.




Pour boiling water over the peas to cover and leave to stand for 5 minutes and then drain.



Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Then wipe the pan round carefully with some kitchen paper to coat the pan. Pour the beaten eggs into the pan.



When it starts bubbling on the top, after a couple of minutes, sprinkle the smoked (or cheddar) cheese  and mint down the centre and then add the peas and Parmesan.





Finally flip over to make a half moon, press down gently and cook for 1 more minute. 


Serve and enjoy.


You can serve it with salad or even fries but I had it as it is and it was perfect - I love the peas, cheese and mint together - so fresh. Plus this recipe is super easy and quick and doesn't make too much mess. I do have this regularly although Arabella prefers simple ham and cheese (she has a thing against mint). 

I definitely think omelettes are underrated - it is something I will always treat myself too at a hotel breakfast and absolutely adore. As long as you don't go over board on the cheese (like I normally do) they are very healthy….actually I think I might pretend to be at a hotel this weekend and make one for breakfast - ham, onion, mushroom and cheese - YUM!


No comments:

Post a Comment