Sunday 12 January 2014

CHICKEN CHIMICHANGAS

Apparently if you repeat an action 10 times it becomes a habit….I have some very good habits such as exercising every weekday or keeping up to date with all my admin however unfortunately I have some very bad habits too such as thinking a weekend = gorging and binging on food and alcohol!

I have been very good with my alcohol intake all week however as soon as it hit 7pm on Friday night the idea of an ice cold g&t popped into my head!!! Plus I wanted to cook something naughty!! I figured as we weren't going out to supper where I would normally have bread, butter, pre-starter (!), starter, main etc, I could cook something indulgent and that is just what I did….although it turned out not to be half as naughty as I thought!!

Ingredients for 4 people:

350g mini chicken fillets, diced
382g jar of Discovery Fajita Season & Sauce
1tbsp vegetable oil
1 red onion, diced
2 yellow, red or orange peppers, deseeded & diced
8 tortillas
100g grated cheddar or gruyere cheese (I probably used much more)
230g tub of sour cream & chive dip
230g tub of guacamole
2 tbsp green jalapeños (optional)


Mix together the diced chicken and fajita seasoning.


Heat the oil in a large non stick frying pan and then add the seasoned chicken, onions and peppers. It looks quite pretty!


Cook for 8-10 minutes until the chicken in cooked through with no pink meat and the peppers are tender.  Then stir in the fajita sauce and cook for another couple of minutes until heated through.


Spoon an eighth of the filling on to the centre of each tortilla.


Sprinkle over with some grated cheese (I put in as much as I could!). 


Fold over the four sides to form neat, square parcels….mine weren't that neat I have to say and were more rectangle…I think I overdid the filling!!! 


Place the parcels, joint side down, on a foil lined baking tray and cook under a medium grill for 2-3 minutes until crisp and golden brown. 



I made a bit of error here and cooked them under a high grill for 4 minutes as I didn't read the recipe properly (old habits die hard) and so burnt them!! (They were still very good though!!)


Serve with a spoonful of each dip and a scattering of jalapeños if you like a bit of spice!!


They were very good despite the burning!! I made the mistake of overfilling the parcels (piglet behaviour) so they weren't very neat and I definitely didn't have room to cook more than 3 at a time. It didn't matter as it was only Pascal and I and we shared the 3 and were full after that. If I was cooking this for others I would take more care!! 

You could smarten this recipe up and use steak rather than chicken or even make it vegetarian….I think I would definitely add some mushrooms next time. I have to say I preferred these ones to the ones I used to have in Tequila Max in Bristol as these are grilled rather than deep fried…a lot less calories too! I am not a spice fan but if you are I am sure you could add some chillies inside the parcels too….the options are endless! 

Normally I feel unhealthy and fat after cooking mexican but I didn't after these. I will definitely be cooking them again but will try not to burn them next time!! We have leftovers so I might have a go now….



No comments:

Post a Comment