Saturday 5 April 2014

PEKING DUCK PANCAKES

As we still had tortilla wraps left over from the tacos, I wanted to do a recipe where I could use them up and this is a recipe I found in a Fay Ripley book. Pascal has been poorly since Christmas and he can't eat like he used to (probably for the best) so going for a Chinese is out of the question as he would be ill for days….we went to Mao Tai once and it was all so good, we went overboard on the starters, cancelled all our mains and still ate enough to feed the five thousand!! Anyway Peking duck pancakes are his favourite and luckily very easy to make at home.

Ingredients for 3 people:

2 duck legs (Sainsbury's sell them)
Half a cucumber
6 spring onions, sliced
4 large tortilla wraps
Hoisin sauce, to serve


The oven needs to be hot so preheat it to 220 C (fan), 240 C, gas mark 9. While this heats up, pat the duck legs dry with kitchen roll.


Scrunch up a large piece of foil and put it in the middle of an oven tray as a platform and pop the duck legs on top, then grind over a little salt. Roast for an hour until the skin is crispy and the meat falls off the bone.



Once this is almost ready, slice the cucumber and spring onions into matchsticks & heat the tortillas according to the packet instructions (I dried fried them as I don't have a microwave).


Once the duck is ready, shred / cut it.


Finally serve  - put a dollop of hoisin sauce on the pancake, pack with the cucumber, spring onions and duck - yum!!






Pascal and I loved it - all I was missing was a plate of prawn crackers. Arabella announced she didn't like duck - I very strongly encouraged her to eat it until I remember my mother force feeding my brother to eat duck as a child and he threw up 7 times in the night. In the end Arabella had cucumber and soy sauce pancakes which she announced were awesome….each to their own!!


2 comments:

  1. Oh gosh! Those look absolutely delicious! I've always been a fan of Peking duck and pancakes are my favorite breakfast meal, so that combo is just heavenly for me. You made it look so easy to do too. I can't wait to try that out myself. Thank you so much for sharing that lovely recipe. All the best!

    Bob Andrews @ Chili House

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bob, thank you so much for your kind words. Enjoy cooking the pancakes! :-)

      Delete