Wednesday 23 April 2014

FAY'S HANGOVER SUB

Our lunch in the sunshine at Brasserie Blanc turned a bit messy. We ended up meeting my brother, going to TGI's and having a long island iced tea in memory of my father who loved going there for them. Obviously we had too many….


The next morning I wasn't feeling too fresh…after a coffee, aspirin and a vitamin C, I needed something substantial to get me going and thankfully Fay Ripley had a recipe to save me. Pascal popped to the shops to buy the ingredients and luckily even in my disastrous state I could follow the instructions.

Ingredients for 2 people:

8-10 rashers of streaky smoked bacon (Fay said just 6 but this wasn't enough, I think it depends on the size of the rashers)
1 small baguette
4 tsp of tomato puree
2 tsp of Dijon mustard
1 large tomato, sliced
1 ripe avocado, halved and sliced
100g cheddar, grated (I didn't actually measure how much I put on)!


Preheat the grill to medium high and grill the bacon - you could fry it however I thought it might be healthier to grill (especially after the excess of the night before).


While this is grilling, cut the tomato and avocado.



Cut the bread in half and lightly grill on both sides (I put it in the oven at the same time as the bacon).

Spread two teaspoons of tomato puree over each baguette half.



Then a teaspoon of Dijon mustard.



Then the bacon.



Then the tomato and avocado.



And finally the cheese.



Put the baguette halves back under the grill for a couple of minutes until the cheese melts.



Wow - this is just what I needed and it really hit the spot….the mustard gives it a real kick, the bacon is deliciously crispy and the avocado and tomato full of flavour….and of course the cheese absolutely makes it. It definitely made me feel better and gave me the energy to move from the bed to the sofa so I could watch non stop TV - I am currently addicted to The Following - a brilliant series. 

I will definitely be cooking these subs again - a perfect breakfast, lunch or brunch - I just hope next time I have it I won't be feeling so hungover!!

No comments:

Post a Comment