Friday 7 February 2014

MAKE YOUR OWN PIZZA

I needed to treat myself today after a week of dieting and lots of bikram - I am back to my "resting/normal" weight although obviously I still dream of being lighter!! 

That is not going to happen today though as I am thinking pizza pizza pizza. Rather than go to Gola, I decide it will be less calories if I make my own as I won't have all the add ons you normally have when you are out for supper like bread and butter, wine and maybe even a starter. I have never made a pizza before and so I did cheat and buy the base….next time I will try and make one but as Arabella had ballet this evening we did not have the time.

We used our favourite ingredients for the pizza - goats cheese, salami and olives (I sneaked in some red onion too) but it is totally up to you as to what you like - ham, rocket, artichokes, anchovies, capers, tuna, sweetcorn Gorgonzola, mushrooms, sun dried tomatoes….the list is endless...

Ingredients for one pizza (Arabella and I shared, obviously just multiply the ingredients for more pizzas):

Half a 390g carton of Italian chopped tomatoes
1 tbsp olive oil
Half a red onion
1 pizza base (I used a Napolina one but I know Sainsburys sell their own and I presume other supermarkets and brands do too)
Salami
1 ball of mozzarella
Olives
Goats Cheese log
A sprinkling of oregano


Preheat the oven depending on what pizza bases you use. I did mine to 220 C.

Pour the tomatoes into a sieve over a bowl or in the sink and let the watery juices drain away.


Heat the oil in a pan over a medium heat and cook the onion for about 6 minutes until softened and then place to one side.


Spoon the tomatoes (without the drained juice) onto the pizza base - I was surprised how little juice there actually was!



Top with the salami or whatever meat you choose (if you do).


And then add the softened onions, mozzarella, goats cheese and olives. Top off with a sprinkling of oregano and black pepper.



Finally pop in the oven for 10-15 minutes (ours took 12).



Wow weezers - that was a success! The base was a bit crusty but it worked very well as the pizza did not fall apart and the toppings were spectacular together - much better than pizza express or similar pizzas you buy in the supermarket and I love that I know exactly what has gone into the pizza. I will definitely be doing this again for adults and kids. I know Pascal will adore it as he can then add exactly what he wants and I would also suggest doing this for kids and letting them decorate it themselves and add smiley faces. I might even do one near valentines with a olive heart!!

Another benefit is it was very very quick and easy - a successful supper and a real treat. If you want to lower the calories, use a low fat mozzarella and vegetable based toppings like aubergine, mushrooms and peppers! 

If you discover any great pizza combinations - let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment