Monday 16 January 2017

CREAMY BROCCOLI AND BACON SPAGHETTI

The only cooking I have been doing recently is pureeing fruit and vegetables. My little girl is nearly 6 months old and just like her mummy, she has a real interest in food. I am trying to cook everything fresh so I have been so busy stocking up the freezer. I look forward to the time when we can all eat the same things, not that I want to wish this time away, my baby is growing up too quickly as it is.

Anyway gone are our weekends of visiting museums and going out for supper. We managed a night out on Friday to see Wicked at the theatre and ate at a fantastic Turkish restaurant in Victoria called Kazan. Unfortunately I forgot to blog it so we will have to go back. Anyway the rest of the weekend we stayed at home and I finally had the time to make some home cooked meals for us.

This recipe is from Delicious magazine, I follow them on Instagram and end up liking pretty much all their posts. This took about 20 minutes to cook.

Ingredients for 4 people:

400g spaghetti
1/2 large head of broccoli, cut into small florets
Olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
6 streaky bacon rashes, roughly chopped
100ml half fat creme fraiche
5 free range egg yolks

To serve:
Grated Parmesan or Cheddar cheese



Prepare all the ingredients such as chopping the onion and bacon, crushing the garlic and cutting up the broccoli. The florets need to be bite size, mine were too big! 

In a large frying pan, heat a glut of olive oil and fry the onion for 3-4 minutes. Then add the garlic and bacon for around 7-10 minutes until the bacon is crisp. When it is ready, take the pan off the heat.







Meanwhile bring a large pan of salted water to the boil and then cook the pasta according to the packet's instructions, mine took 10 minutes. 3 minutes before the end, add the broccoli to the pan. Once it is ready, drain in a colander and drizzle with a little olive oil, then return to the saucepan.



Add the bacon mixture to the pasta and then thoroughly stir in the creme fraiche and egg yolks. 




Serve with a good grinding of black pepper and a sprinkling of grated cheese.



This was very quick and easy to make and it was absolutely delicious. I loved the light creamy sauce, the saltiness of the bacon and the crunch of the broccoli. My husband, daughter and I were all big fans and I was particularly happy to be having an "indulgent" meal that included green veg. Another time, I might substitute the broccoli for mushrooms although not when my daughter is round - she hates them!

Nutrition Facts Widget Image

1 comment: