Thursday 26 February 2015

HOMEMADE FISH CAKES

I am sure I have mentioned on this blog previously that I am following the 5:2 diet. I had originally tried it last year but it didn't work as I was too impatient, I didn't stick to it completely and I would go totally crazy on my "5" days and consume about 4000 calories!! 

I started it again in January and this time it is much more successful - the weight loss is slow but it is consistent and on my two 500 calorie days each week I feel really good to be so disciplined plus I end up eating a lot more fruit and vegetables than I used to. Now I just have to continue to stick at it.

On a "2" day I tend to eat either soup or plain fish and vegetables rather than cooking something new. However Arabella had been asking for fish cakes for ages and I was pleasantly surprised when I realised that if I made them myself they are only around 245 calories when served with 85g of peas - a great healthy 5:2 meal!!

Ingredients for 2 people:

150g potatoes, peeled and chopped
150g cooked smoked trout 
Finely grated zest and juice of half a lemon
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1 tbsp of fresh chives
1 big tbsp dried polenta
Olive oil or fry light

Optional Sauce (I didn't bother with this and Arabella had mayonnaise)
2 tbsp half fat creme fraiche
1 tsp Dijon mustard



First of all boil the potatoes until cooked and then drain, mash and leave to cool.



While the potatoes are cooking, flake the fish into a bowl. My trout was annoyingly full of bones so do take care. I would be tempted to use salmon next time in hope there were less bones.



Add the lemon juice and lemon zest of half a lemon.



Next add a teaspoon of Dijon mustard and some salt and pepper.



Finally snip in the chives.



Add the mash and mix well.



Be prepared to get your hands dirty as you form the mixture into 4 patties. It is easier if your hands are very slightly damp and keep your eyes open for any missed bones.



On a plate or bowl spread out a heaped tablespoon of polenta.



Then coat the patties in it.



Cover and put in the fridge for at least 30 minutes. I actually chilled them for longer, around 3 hours but it all depends on your timing.

When you are ready to eat, heat either the olive oil or some fry light in a frying pan and then add the patties.



Fry over a medium heat for about 5 minutes on each side until golden and cooked through.

Finally serve and tuck in. If you fancy the sauce just mix together the creme fraiche and Dijon mustard or you could even use just mayonnaise or tartare sauce.



Delicious - really simple and healthy and I love the fact that you know exactly what is in them….not always the case with pre-prepared fishcakes bought from shops. Arabella and I both really enjoyed our supper and it added some variety to my "2" day of 500 calories. Like with lots of recipes you could mix it up by adding some spring onions or using different fish like salmon or tuna. It is also possible to make a big batch of these and freeze them, a great freezer staple for the days when you can't be bothered to cook but still want to eat well.

No comments:

Post a Comment