Tuesday 24 February 2015

CADBURY'S CREME EGG BROWNIES

Arabella decided that she wanted to do some baking this afternoon. I then thought it was the perfect opportunity to make the Cadbury's creme egg brownies I have been thinking about since finding the recipe on the Internet a couple of months ago. Although in typical fashion I ended up doing all the cooking and all the eating - she chose barbies and haribo - and now I feel like a heffalump!!

This wasn't my most successful recipe as I didn't use the right size dish and I had to cook the brownies for lot longer than suggested and they didn't look as "pretty" as I was hoping. However if you like chocolate, you certainly won't be disappointed!!

Ingredients for around 12 brownies:

185g unsalted butter
185g best dark chocolate
85g plain flour
40g cocoa powder
3 large eggs
275g golden caster sugar
6 Cadbury creme eggs, cut in half (easier said than done)!


Preheat the oven to 170 C and grease a 20cm square baking tray (as I mentioned my tray wasn't big enough). I also added a layer of baking parchment as it is easier to remove the brownie at the end.


Melt the dark chocolate and butter together either in the microwave or in a bowl over boiling water (what I did).


Break the 3 large eggs into a bowl (Arabella's job!) and add the 275g of sugar.


With an electric mixer on maximum speed, whisk the eggs and sugar until they look thick and creamy like a milkshake. This should take about 5 minutes and the egg and sugar mixture should have a paler colour and have doubled its original volume. I was very excited to use my new hand mixer for the first time!



Once the chocolate and butter is melted and cooled, fold it into the eggy mousse.



Next sieve the cocoa and flour over the chocolate and eggy mixture, shaking the sieve from side to side, to cover the top evenly.




Then gently fold into the mixture.


Then pour into the baking tin.


According to the recipe you cook for just 15 minutes before you add the creme eggs however I found this was no way long enough. Instead I would suggest cooking for 25 minutes.

Then take out the oven and press in the halved creme eggs (due to my smaller dish I could only fit in 4.5). These were pretty messy to cut!!


Then according to the recipe you are meant to cook for just another 5 minutes however I cooked for another 15 minutes. I would suggest checking after 10 minutes and seeing how it's doing.

Finally set aside to cool and then cut into squares and enjoy!


No marks for presentation but 100% chocolately!! Wow! I added a little bit of vanilla ice cream and it was totally delicious - obviously I overdid it so am feeling like a fat little piglet but it was worth it. I will admit I prefer my Break-Your-Diet-Brownies but these are a great alternative and perfect for Easter. I don't know how I am going to resist them tomorrow as I am having a 500 calories day….I might have to lock them in the safe!!

PS It is even better the next day after being in the fridge….I think I am going to overindulge today!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment