Wednesday 26 February 2014

SALMON & HERBED SOUFFLE OMELETTE

I feel like I haven't cooked in ages - I have been trying to shift a couple of pounds this week as I got carried away with the Quality Street (and the rest) in France….thankfully there wasn't too much damage - skiing definitely does burn calories!!

Wednesday is almost always fish night in our house but I was at a total loss at what to do as I wanted something low in calories for me but also something healthy that Arabella would enjoy. One of Arabella and my favourites is smoked salmon and scrambled eggs but that isn't really "cooking" so instead I decided to do this salmon & herbed soufflé omelette recipe instead. Protein & omega 3 - very healthy. I was originally put off by the "soufflé" in the title as I was imagining something super complicated…but it really wasn't!

Ingredients for 2 people:

4 large eggs, separated
1 x 135g pack honey roast salmon flakes
1 tbsp finely chopped dill
2 tbsp finely chopped chives
85g light soft cheese (I used lightest Philadelphia)
1 tbsp olive oil
Crisp green salad, to serve (optional)


The first mistake I made when cooking this recipe was tasting the honey roast salmon flakes - they are absolutely delicious and I found it very difficult to stop eating the entire packet. I will definitely be buying these again as a protein snack or to have with a salad.

Anyway to the cooking! The first thing that needs to be done is to preheat the grill to a medium-high.

Then separate the egg yolks and whites into two separate bowls - I obviously managed to break one!


Chop the chives and dill, (I used scissors as always). You could add more dill if you like, however as I was cooking this for Arabella & she was already eye-ing up the herbs with her nose turned up, I stuck to just one tablespoon.


Lightly beat the eggs until they are foamy and then mix in the salmon flakes and herbs.


Then add the soft cheese in small spoonfuls and stir to combine (the cheese will remain in lumps).



It actually mixed much better than I thought. 

Whisk the egg whites to soft peaks - I have no idea what this actually means! I just beat the whites and then gently folded it into the egg yolk mixture. Season with salt and pepper.



Heat the oil in a non stick frying pan over a high heat. I made my second mistake here…I thought the recipe said a 16" saucepan but actually it said 16cm - so my pan was far too big! Pour in the egg mixture, reduce the heat to low and cook for 4-5 minutes or until just set at the base.



Finally grill (about 6cm from the seat source) for about 4-5 minutes or until golden and just set.


Serve immediately.


It was a quick, delicious and very healthy meal - full of goodness. This dish is packed with protein, which the body uses for growth and repair. It is also a good source of vitamin A - an antioxidant that helps prevent the body's cells from damage. Finally the eggs provide a quarter of your daily zinc requirement which helps to support the immune system.

I made a couple of errors - next time I would definitely use a smaller frying pan, my omelette was so thin I overcooked it, plus there was a lack of salmon as I pigged some beforehand (!). Arabella adored it though, she ate everything….as did I. It was a successful meal - under 400 calories for half the omelette. A green salad or tomatoes would be a perfect accompaniment although we certainly didn't need it.


No comments:

Post a Comment