Sunday 12 June 2016

CREAMED CORN & PARMESAN RISOTTO

After 7 years of talking about it, I have finally signed up to do a French course. Typically I am actually really enjoying it and wish I had done it sooner. Hopefully by the end of next weekend I will be able to string a few sentences together. My only complaint is the huge amount of homework is really interfering with my cooking and tv time, hence while I have been so quiet on the blog. I did cook this last week though - it was time consuming - but it was worth it. It took about 40 minutes.

Ingredients for 4 people:

1 onion, finely chopped
2 tbsp of olive oil
A knob of butter
350g of risotto rice
1.2 litres of vegetable stock
400g tin of creamed corn
120g Parmesan, freshly grated (plus extra for garnishing)



Heat the oil and butter in a large pan, add the onion and cook gently for 4-5 minutes whilst stirring gently until softened not coloured.



Increase the heat, stir in the rice and cook gently for a minute, stirring, until the rice in opaque.



In a separate saucepan, pour in the stock and bring to a gentle simmer.



Now for the time consuming bit! Add a ladleful of the simmering stock to the pan of rice, stirring continuously until all the liquid has been absorbed.
Continue adding ladlefuls of stock, stirring all the time, and making sure all the previous liquid has been almost entirely absorbed before adding the next.






After about 20 minutes, by which time the rice will nearly all be cooked, tip the creamed corn into the remaining stock and simmer for a couple of minutes. Then add to the risotto like before. When the risotto is ready it should be tender but al dente.





Season to taste and stir in the Parmesan.




Serve and garnish with some more Parmesan if desired.



Even though this isn't the quickest recipe to cook - it was worth it and I think all that stirring is meditative. I was a little put off by the thought of "creamed corn", I have never cooked with it before, but it worked brilliantly with the risotto and Parmesan and Arabella was also a huge fan. We did discuss how it would work well with pancetta or lardons as well. The other thing I liked about this recipe was how few ingredients it needs, a great and easy family supper idea.
Nutrition Facts Widget Image

No comments:

Post a Comment