Monday 11 May 2015

L'ETRANGER, SOUTH KENSINGTON

The two restaurants Pascal and I have been to recently have played ear splitting music non stop and it made it impossible to hold a conversation or even hear yourself think - maybe I am just getting old, but I am really not keen on having supper in a nightclub. So when we walked into L'Etranger on Saturday night and it was peaceful and elegant with gorgeous chairs and soft lighting, Pascal and I thought we were in Heaven! 

L'Etranger opened in 2002 and the food is a combination of Japanese and French cuisine and the restaurant has won awards for their exceptional wine and champagne lists. Originally Pascal had thought the concept of Japanese French fare very unappealing, however we came here for my birthday a few years ago and he was immediately won over by the delicious dishes.

The menu is extremely varied so I was at a total loss on what to order - I was torn between the crispy squid or scallops but in the end went for the scallops as they are something I never cook at home. They were roasted and served with Parmesan puree and truffle foam.


These were delicious, the scallops were tender and perfectly cooked and the Parmesan puree tasty like cheesy mash. My only complaint was there wasn't enough truffle!

Pascal went for the terrine of foie gras with brioche and I had serious food envy as this was really good as it was rich but light at the same time.


For mains I went for fish as I have a tendency recently to overeat and then feel ill (such a piglet). I ordered the poached Scottish salmon with pea puree and teriyaki sauce and it was wonderful - such a good combination of flavours - I might even try to recreate this at home!


Pascal ordered the smoked Landes duck cooked 2 ways, pomegranate, asparagus & seared foie gras - according to him, this was unbelievable and even though I only had a tiny taste, I definitely agreed. The duck croquette was amazing and the foie gras literally melted in your mouth.


For sides we ordered truffled polenta sumo chips and roasted aubergine with ginger, chilli & cashew nuts - we didn't really need them but I am very pleased we ordered them!



We both decided to go for it and have pudding - Pascal had a great selection of cheese and I had a phenomenal chocolate fondant with vanilla ice cream.



Wow - what a satisfying and special meal. A fantastic dining room and setting with fabulous food and wine. The service was very efficient and friendly however as the restaurant filled up, the service slowed down and if I wasn't such a piglet I would have cancelled our puddings as we had to wait so long but in the end they were worth the wait! 

If you have a special occasion or just want a fabulous meal out, this is your place….we will definitely be back again soon.

36 Gloucester Road,
London
SW7 4QT
Tel: 020 7584 1118
Email: etranger@etranger.co.uk

Square Meal
L'Etranger on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment