Monday 22 December 2014

MARGAUX, SOUTH KENSINGTON

I had a dilemma last Friday night - I presumed that we would have no problem getting a table at our local Spanish restaurant Tendido Cuatro however they were fully booked and I had no idea where we should go instead. Thank goodness for the open table website - I managed to book us a table at Margaux, a French place on the Old Brompton road, I didn't know much about it but I remembered the Sunday Times giving it a good review a while back.

The menu at Margaux is full of French classic dishes and has a great wine list. The decor is very modern and urban (more New York than French) and it had a buzzy atmosphere and a mix of clientele from a local vicar to drunken ladies at their Christmas party in the private dining area.

Pascal and I both went for the seared foie gras with toasted brioche, apricot jam and port reduction. Seared foie gras is a favourite of ours - it's not the easiest to cook and they rarely have it in restaurants over here.

The foie gras was really good - lightly cooked on the outside but soft in the middle. I wasn't that keen on the toppings (I should have read the menu properly as I don't like sweet and savoury together) but the foie gras was delicious enough to eat on its own. I will definitely be having more of this when I next go to France. Other starters that appealed were the ravioli of prawns and saffron or the aubergine and burrata salad (next time)!

For mains I had the quintessentially French dish of beef bourguignon with creamy polenta. This was incredible. The meat was so tender, it literally fell apart and the polenta was very creamy and warming - a perfect accompaniment - I don't know why polenta isn't that popular in England as it tastes so very good and makes a nice change from the usual potato.



Pascal had the duck leg confit with cocoa, pear compote and blackberry. He normally does not like food and fruit together either but he changed his mind here as he loved his meal - the duck was cooked to perfection.


We weren't hungry for pudding however they had such a good cheese selection we had to tuck in - we shared 5 different cheeses with crackers and bread and it was like another meal in itself. All were amazing however a special mention has to be made about the truffle brillat savarin - it was out of this world and now my new favourite cheese.




A lovely meal with excellent, very quick service. It was expensive but the food was good quality, well presented and imaginative. To be honest I would go back for the cheese alone. I have a feeling this is going to be Pascal's new favourite - a home away from home!! The restaurant also offers some great value set menus and is becoming well known for it's weekend brunch.

Margaux

150-152 Old Brompton Road
London
SW5 0BE
Tel: 020 7373 5753

Square Meal 
Bar Margaux on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

  1. I ate there last night and it is a very good restaurant.

    ReplyDelete