Friday 20 March 2015

BAKED BRIE BUBBLE AND SQUEAK

It is very rare that I cook a recipe that I don't really love - being such a piglet I like eating pretty much everything. I have nearly always had great success with Fay Ripley's recipes however I was a little disappointed in this one. Bubble and squeak is a classic dish however Fay has "mixed it up" by adding egg….I tried this and really didn't like it as an addition so I would recommend leaving it out (ignore it in my picture). Also if, like me, you like a bit of meat, I would advise you to add some chorizo to this recipe - I didn't and I regret it! Here is the recipe, I have altered it a bit to make it better and I only cooked it for Arabella and I, but here it is for 4 people.

Ingredients 4 people:
800g potatoes
240g bag of ready shredded cabbage and leek (you can buy it and shred it yourself if you aren't lazy like me)!
2 tbsp olive oil
2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped (I didn't add this as we don't like spice)
200g cherry tomatoes, halved
200g brie or dolcelatte, roughly chopped
200g chorizo, sliced
3 large eggs, beaten (I didn't like the egg in this so put it in at your peril)!

To serve (optional):
Green salad and warm crusty bread


Preheat the oven to 160 C fan / 180 C / gas mark 4.

Wash and chop the potatoes into bite size pieces, leaving the skin on (I didn't read this part - doh)! Par-boil in salted water for 8-10 minutes.


While these are cooking, in a frying pan, cook the chorizo in a splash of olive oil. As I said I didn't add this but I would really recommend it. After a few minutes add the cabbage and leek mix for 2-3 minutes. 


Add the garlic and cook for one more minute and season.


Then add the chilli (if using), the tomatoes, and the cheese, with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. 



If you are adding the beaten eggs, this is also when you do it. I did but as I said, I didn't like it, but each to their own!



Give it all a good stir and mix well. Transfer to a large, shallow, ovenproof ceramic dish. 


Bake for 30 minutes until bubbling and crispy on top.


Finally split between four plates and serve.


This wasn't Arabella nor my favourite thing I have ever cooked, however I believe if you add the chorizo and leave out the egg, it would be delicious. A great midweek supper or weekend lunch idea. Satisfying but not too filling. I will definitely be trying it again with Pascal, I think he will be a fan of anything involving brie, chorizo and potatoes!!

No comments:

Post a Comment