Monday 30 January 2017

CHICKEN AND RED PESTO MELTS

I tried out the recipe/food delivery service Hello Fresh last week - the company deliver you fresh ingredients and a recipe card so you can enjoy cooking the food yourself. I loved it as you have the exact ingredients and so you don't waste anything (I hate waste) and the food was delicious. My only complaint was it took much longer than the suggested 30 minutes and at the moment I don't have that amount of time in the evenings. It was nice to try something new and the portions were a healthy size - I will definitely be using it again in the near future but not when I have a demanding baby!!

Anyway I did find a very easy recipe to cook for Arabella and I last week, it took around 20 minutes in total, but was extremely simple.

Ingredients for 2 people:

2 chicken breasts
Olive oil
4 tbsp red pesto
175g mozzarella, sliced (you can use less - I just adore cheese)!
A few leaves of basil (I forgot this so used dry but fresh is better)

To serve:
Salad



Butterfly the chicken breasts by cutting through half horizontally (but not all the way through) and opening up like a book. Lay clingfilm over the top and gently bash until they are similar thickness all over. Mine were quite thin.




Heat a non stick frying pan with a tablespoon of olive oil. Season the chicken and then add to the pan. Sear for around 5 minutes on each side until golden and cooked through. The exact amount of time will depend on the thickness of the chicken so do cut into it to check there is no pink meat.




Preheat the grill to hot.

Lift the chicken on to a baking tray, spread the pesto over each breast and top with the mozzarella. Slide under a hot grill and cook until the cheese has melted and is bubbling. This only took a couple of minutes so keep your eye on it.






Finish with some fresh basil leaves and serve with a green salad.



Arabella originally moaned when I told her what I was cooking as she had eaten chicken at school that day, however after a few mouthfuls, she was telling me how much she enjoyed our supper. It is very kid friendly and I loved it too - simple but tasty. Next time I might add some avocado to my salad as well.
Nutrition Facts Widget Image

No comments:

Post a Comment