Monday 12 December 2016

SPAGHETTI WITH PEA AND SAUSAGE SAUCE

I would like to cook fresh homemade recipes every night but with a new baby, the reality is, I don't! Olympia is generally a very good little girl but by late afternoon she has a tendency to turn on the tears and have a bit of a moan. This always coincides with when I am trying to cook supper which makes cooking somewhat stressful! Therefore when I do cook it has to be something very quick and very easy. We had some leftover sausages to use up so I found this recipe on the Waitrose website and it took just over 30 minutes in total.

Ingredients for 4 people:

1 tbsp olive oil
6 sausages
Half an onion, finely chopped
1 small clove of garlic, crushed
230g tin of plum tomatoes
400g spaghetti
200g peas, defrosted
Freshly grated Parmesan to serve



I only cooked this recipe for Arabella and I, however here are the details to cook it for 4 people. Start by heating a tablespoon of oil in a frying pan and then add 4 sausages and fry until cooked through and golden. Alternatively you could grill the sausages as a healthier option. I fried but next time I will grill - I hate the way the sausages spit everywhere - it was definitely necessary to wear an apron!


Once these are cooked, remove from the heat, and slice into bite size pieces. Take the skin off the remaining two sausages and then fry in the oil until also cooked and golden.





Put the original sausages back in the pan and then add the onion and garlic. Fry for around five minutes before adding the the tomatoes. Simmer for ten minutes and season to taste.





Meanwhile cook the pasta according to the packet's instructions in salted boiling water. Mine took 10 minutes.



Add the peas for the last 2 minutes and then drain.




Mix the tomato and sausage sauce with the pasta and peas and then serve with a sprinkling of Parmesan.




This was much better than I was expecting - it was pretty simple to make and I did not think it would be anything special but Arabella and I both enjoyed it. The combination of the flavours of the peas, sausage and tomato worked really well and it tasted very fresh. A quick, tasty and easy midweek meal.

Nutrition Facts Widget Image

No comments:

Post a Comment