Friday 22 April 2016

GRILLED GAMMON STEAKS WITH LEEK AND MUSHROOM SAUCE

Often I ask Arabella what she had for lunch for school and she answers "meat" and when I enquire what kind of meat, I am met with a blank face. However the other day, she announced she had gammon and she absolutely loved it - so I was obviously straight to the supermarket to buy some and hunting online for a recipe. I actually had one in my recipe file that I had cut out from a Sainsbury's magazine - it took about 30 minutes in total.

Ingredients for 4 people:

15g unsalted butter
1 tbsp olive oil
250g pack of closed cup chestnut mushrooms, cleaned and quartered
1 large leek, washed, trimmed and sliced
50g of spring onions, trimmed and sliced
2 x 320g packs of sweet cure unsmoked gammon steaks
2 tsp French Dijon mustard
150ml chicken stock, made with 1/2 a stock cube
125ml soured cream (I actually used mascarpone as that is what I had in the fridge)
14g fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped

To serve (optional):
500g mini potatoes
350g frozen garden peas



Heat the butter and half the oil in the frying pan.


Add the mushrooms and fry over the heat for 2-3 minutes and then remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.





Add the leek and spring onions to the pan with the rest of the oil and the recipe says to cook for a further 8-10 minutes over a medium heat. I actually just did about 5 minutes as it started to burn.




At the same time, preheat the grill to high and cook for 5 minutes on each side until cooked through.




If you are cooking potatoes, you need to boil them for around 12 minutes as well.

Anyway add the mustard and stock to the pan with the cooked onions and leeks. Next mix in the sour cream or in my case the mascarpone and simmer for 1 minutes.



Finally add the mushrooms, parsley and season with black pepper and give it a good stir. Also if you are cooking peas, boil them for 3-4 minutes now.





Serve the gammon steaks topped with the mushroom and leek sauce and enjoy.



I didn't have the potatoes and peas and I have to admit I didn't need them, this tasted brilliant just as it was - it was very similar to a stroganoff and all the flavours were great together. Arabella had it with the peas and potatoes and no sauce as she hates mushrooms. This was easy and quick to cook and the sauce would work well with any meat, or even on its own. Another success!

Nutrition Facts Widget Image

No comments:

Post a Comment