Tuesday 6 October 2015

DOUKAN, WANDSWORTH

I am feeling very grateful today to have such wonderful and supportive friends, two of which took me out for a fantastic meal on Friday night. We arranged to go to a local restaurant of theirs called Doukan which serves Moroccan food. I arrived at 7.30pm and the bar was kicking - who knew Wandsworth was so lively! We sat at a quieter table at the back and perused the menu - there were so many great things to choose from.

We started with some Pastillas which were sweet and savoury chicken parcels with figs and orange blossom. These were so much better than I expected….bigger and jam packed with filling….a bit like a giant dim sum.


We also had some of the best calamari I have had in my life and cheese briouattes, which are parcels of feta, halloumi and goat's cheese. All absolutely delicious. I could have had just a selection of starters alone.





For mains Hard had a tagine of beef and olives which was served in a rich, tangy paprika and ginger sauce with a side of couscous. The meat literally melted in your mouth, so tender.




Fran had harissa chicken with flatbread, minted yoghurt and mixed leaves. She had actually had this here the week before and enjoyed it so much, she had to have it again.



I could have just eaten the starters all over again but I actually went for the lamb kefta grill with buttered couscous and red pepper sauce. It was basically lamb kofta and like everything else was really good (despite looking like you know what!) and it was a very generous portion.



We were too full for pudding so I finished off with a peppermint tea which was the only disappointment of the evening. It was beautifully presented but far too sweet.


Anyway a minor detail. Everything else about the restaurant was fab and I will definitely be rushing back for lunch or dinner - food was great, service was attentive and it was reasonably priced. My sister is a vegan and finds eating out quite the nightmare at times but I am happy to report there are some vegan choices here such as a lentil, chickpea and coriander soup or sesame toasted quinoa with chestnut mushrooms, broad beans and fresh mint and several sides - right up her street - definitely a place we can enjoy together! I can't wait to eat here again.

Doukan

350 Old York Road
London 
SW18 1SS
Tel: 020 8870 8280

Square Meal
Doukan Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment